This year, Cinco de Mayo lands on a Sunday, which means many of us will be taking Monday off after a night spent eating as many tacos as we can stuff into our mouths and drinking margaritas until the sun comes up.
Or at least, that’s my plan!
Here at CouponFollow, we recently took a survey about some popular Cinco de Mayo questions, and we also rounded up the best deals.
Luckily, we all remember at least one phrase from our days in high school Spanish class--nearly everyone we surveyed knew Cinco de Mayo is the 5th of May.
But, why do we celebrate the date? Most people (over 50%!) think Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican Independence Day. However, that holiday is actually not until September 16.
In our survey, 25% of people got it right: Cinco de Mayo is actually a commemorative event to highlight the Mexican army’s unlikely victory over the French under Napoleon III during the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Those who answered correctly were clearly paying more attention in history class than the rest of us.
But it’s really no wonder people have misconceptions about Cinco de Mayo: it’s become more of an American holiday than even a Mexican one. And the highlight of the holiday in most consumer’s eyes is the food and drink. Which may be why over 80% of people surveyed don’t think we should have the holiday off of work.
Maybe if the celebration was focused more on actual Mexican culture, we’d reconsider. But for now, all of us are stuck working the Monday after, no matter how much tequila we consume.
So now that you know the history, what do you want to celebrate with? 35% of people surveyed said: TACOS!
Luckily, there are a ton of discounts, freebies, and special offers scheduled for Cinco de Mayo this year, and we’ve gathered them all up below! Check back frequently for the latest and greatest deals.
Discounts and Freebies
- Chili’s: May’s Margarita of the Month is the Tequila Trifecta, featuring Cuervo Gold, 1800 Reposado, Sauza Blue Silver, Triple Sec and fresh sour. All that for just $5! Plus, get any Presidente Margarita and draft beer for just five bucks, too.
- Bahama Breeze: Their slogan this year is “party like there’s no mañana,” which apparently means $5 margaritas and $10 Create Your Own Premium Tequila & Rum Flights from April 28-May 5! Drink up.
- Blue Moon Mexican Cafe: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo weekend, with parties, DJs, and drink specials from May 3-5.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co: All day May 5, get $1 tacos and $4 Corona Extra Bottles!
- Chuy’s: This Tex-Mex favorite is offering $1 floaters May 3-5, $1 off Margaritas May 4-5, and $5-$8 off house ritas, $1 off Dos Equis, and $5 queso or guac on May 5 only.
- El Torito: On May 5 only, celebrate from 8am-2pm with their bottomless champagne brunch buffet and get $5 margs, bloody marys, and micheladas. Then from 2pm-close, get $2.50 tacos and margarita, beer, and shot specials.
- Joe’s Crab Shack: Celebrate all day May 5, with tacos, Patron margaritas, and $20 buckets of Modelo Especial.
There are a lot of people who like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo from the comfort of their home. If you fit this category there are lots of great delivery options for tasty Mexican food. If you want to get groceries to prepare your own fiesta you can use a delivery service like Instacart to get taco shells, salsa, and tequila delivered right to your door. You can currently use an Instacart promo code to get free shipping off your first order of $35 or more.