Did you know that the month of May was named after the Greek goddess of fertility, Maia? It makes sense that during this month, we’ll celebrate the important women in our lives on Mother’s Day, which means great deals on photo gifts, flowers, and more. Plus, you’ll also find a great number of discounts in other categories, too.
Check out our Best Things to Buy in May below.
The single hottest times of the year to buy a mattress include February and May. In February, a lot of mattresses are clearanced out to bring in new models, but in May, the big highlight is around Memorial Day! If you’re looking to buy a mattress, now is absolutely the best time of the year to do it. Coupons, discounts, and freebies abound online and in store. Expect savings up to 60% off, as well as inclusions of free sheets, box springs, pillows, and more.
Pro tip: check out stores that don’t just sell mattresses for potential extra discounts, like Kohl’s, Macy’s, and Target.
- Leesa: Exclusively for CouponFollow users, save 15% off all mattresses through May 30!
- Allswell Home: Exclusively for CouponFollow users, save $25 off any mattress through May 15
- AmoreBeds: Take $50 off a new mattress, and get a 100-day free in-home trial
- Live and Sleep: Save $150 off the Luxury mattress and get free 2-day shipping, a free pillow, and 100 nights to try the mattress out at home
- Nest Bedding: With this coupon, you’ll save 5% off your entire purchase
Summer is coming, and that means one thing: spring apparel sales!! All your favorite retailers like Old Navy, JCPenney, Torrid, and even high-end brands like Tommy Hilfiger will have the biggest spring apparel sales of the year. Check smaller, more niche apparel retailers like Modcloth, PrettyLittleThing, and MissGuided as well.
Pro tip: if you need summer apparel or swimwear, wait until Memorial Day weekend, when literally every single website and store will have coupons and deals.
Mother’s Day & Grad Gifts
I and many other shoppers always buy my Mother’s Day gifts late in the game, and retailers know this! So, look for deals on personalized gifts, flowers, candy, chocolates, jewelry, spas, and even electronics now through May 12. Plus, you can also find great deals throughout May on gifts for the grads in your life.
Pro tip: not all moms want something extravagant or expensive. Look for touching gifts, or stop by Michael’s and make something yourself. Any mom is sure to love a thoughtful, DIY gift from the heart.
With Memorial Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, graduation, summer cookouts, and Fourth of July parties all right around the corner, May is the best time to stock up on fancy paper plates, streamers, napkins, and party favors. Because summer is a huge time for weddings and bridal showers, as well, you can knock out some great decoration purchases early.
Pro tip: stock up while you can. When you see a great sale, buy for holidays ahead of time too.
- BirthdayInABox.com: Perfect for party decorations, trinket gifts, and even personalized items, save 10% off all orders of $50 or more with code
- Napkins.com: for a limited time only, take 50% off grad party supplies
Starting in early May, retailers will mark down major appliances like refrigerators, since manufacturers release new models in mid-to-late-May. Small appliances like blenders, microwaves, and coffee makers will be on sale too, as retailers look to capitalize on college grads moving out.
Pro tip: I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but try to buy during Memorial Day for the biggest discounts here as well.
- Sears: you can save $35 off any appliance purchase of $350 or more with this code
- Best Buy: Save up to 30% off top appliance buys for May
- A.J. Madison: check out their selection of appliances, on sale up to 20% off
As for what not to buy in May, there are two big categories here: grills and patio furniture. Unless you find a killer coupon code, wait on these purchases. Memorial Day may have some good bargains, but beyond that, you’ll definitely be overpaying now through the end of summer. If you can wait until September or October, those are optimal months for those categories.
As always, don’t forget to check back frequently, as we’ll be updating and adding deals as they come in.