Extreme couponing is a smart and effective way for consumers to save money on the items that they need to purchase. It's a practice that not only allows shoppers to drastically cut the cost of their purchases but in some cases even allows people to get items for free. Whether a person is in college or enjoying their senior years, extreme couponing is something that's easy to do. For the best results, however, it's important that consumers understand what an extreme couponer does. Although its foundation is general couponing, there are certain steps that one must follow to obtain the biggest savings.
Collect and Organize Coupons
Clipping coupons is a major part of extreme couponing. One can start by finding and clipping coupons from inserts that are in their Sunday paper. When clipping coupons, they should focus on quantity and collect as many as possible. This is particularly important for more expensive items or items used frequently. To ensure that enough coupons are collected, it's helpful to purchase several newspapers to clip coupons from. These coupons should be kept in a binder and organized by type so that they are easily found when needed.
Download Popular Coupon and Cash-Back Apps
In addition to Sunday papers, one may also use coupon sites online. These sites may require consumers to print the coupons, or they may allow shoppers to show the coupon code on their smartphone. Shoppers might also use apps that offer rebates on items that a person purchases. Some of the most popular rebate or cash-back apps include Ibotta and Checkout 51.
Learn and Understand the Language
With extreme couponing, there are certain terms and phrases that consumers need to know, such as coupon-doubling and coupon-stacking. "Moneymaker" is another term that one may encounter: This means the consumer earns more than they pay. It applies to situations when the final price after the stacked rebates and coupons are applied is less than $0. When consumers layer savings and deals such as coupons, rebates, sales, and other promotions, it is called stacking. There are also certain abbreviations that couponers will want to know, many of which deal with the coupon inserts that routinely appear in Sunday papers. They include SS for SmartSource, PG for Procter & Gamble coupons, and RP for the RedPlum insert.
Learn Policies for Different Stores
Not every store accepts coupons in the same way. Before practicing extreme couponing, a shopper should research what the policies are at the stores they frequent. This is important particularly in terms of multiple coupons. While some stores allow an unlimited number of the same coupon, others may drastically limit the use of duplicate coupons. Stores also may or may not allow coupon-stacking and coupon-doubling. In some cases, stacking may be allowed only if one coupon is a clipped one from the newspaper and the other is an online coupon.
Shop the Deals
With traditional couponing, consumers don't generally plan out their coupon use to coincide with sales. As a result, they often don't reach their maximum savings potential. With extreme couponing, planning and waiting for the best deals or sales is crucial. Shoppers should peruse ads and only use coupons and cash-back or money-saving apps on items that are currently on sale. If more than one store has an item on sale, choose the location that offers the best savings or take advantage of price-matching if applicable. In addition, consumers can boost their savings by using rewards or loyalty cards from grocery or drug stores.
- The New Extreme Couponing Is Online and it's Not That Hard: The Balance offers its readers this article on extreme couponing and how to get bigger savings with app-stacking. The page discusses selecting a shopping portal as well as rewards programs and rewards credit cards.
- Extreme Couponing! How to Get $1,100 of Merchandise for $40: Extreme couponing is a trend that's gaining in popularity; this article discusses what it is and how to get started.
- Eight Secrets of Extreme Couponers: Consumers who are interested in saving money should click this link to read eight extreme couponing secrets.
- Seven Strategies of Extreme Couponers: People who are interested in extreme couponing can learn seven strategies to increase savings here.
- Is Extreme Couponing for You? Anyone who questions whether they have what it takes to become an extreme couponer should click this link to visit a page that provides information and tips.
- Five Steps for Couponing Today: Start saving money by reading up on the five steps needed to become a pro.
- Saving Money With Coupons: Learn how to find coupons and how to use them by reading this brief article on the Rutgers website.
- Clip and Save: Stretching Your Grocery Dollar (PDF): This University of Kentucky newsletter discusses the topic of couponing and how it is done.
- Extreme Couponing: Learn from the experts on TV's Extreme Couponing with the strategies on this page.
- What to Know About Extreme Couponing: Anyone with an interest in extreme couponing can visit this page to read information on finding stores with good coupon policies, planning ahead, or using a coupon-clipping service.
- 30 Things You Didn't Know About Extreme Couponing: There's a lot to learn about extreme couponing for those not in the know.
- Extreme Couponing Tips and Tricks Revealed (video): This ABC News video investigates extreme couponing and provides tips on how to save big.
- Extreme Couponing: Click this link to view a CBS News article on extreme couponing.
- Get Bigger Deals Through App-Stacking: Open this page to learn about app-stacking, which is outlined in three steps.
- Tips on Digital Coupon-Clipping (PDF): Convenience is important for people who live busy lives. This NBC News video explains digital coupons and how to use them.
- Seven Tips for Navigating Group Coupon Sites: This article on the Real Simple website discusses how consumers can navigate and get good deals on group couponing sites.
- Top Six Online Coupons and How to Use Them: Online coupon sites have become increasingly popular, but for many, they can be confusing as well.
- Searching for Savings (PDF): Open this document for instruction and advice on extreme couponing.
- How to Make Money With Your Walmart and Target Receipts: Click this link to read how to save money with cash-back apps at stores such as Walmart and Target.
- Get Money Back at the Grocery Store With These 11 Apps: Popular shopping apps are designed to help people get cash back on goods that they purchase from stores and restaurants.
- Ten Sneaky Online Shopping Tricks for Scoring Major Discounts: Prices often seem high, but there are ways that consumers can get serious discounts when they shop. This page on the Forbes site reviews tips including how to search for coupons, get deals on social media, and even potentially have expired coupons extended.
- Tips for Saving Money With Coupons: Anyone who has ever wondered how to save money with coupons will want to click this link for valuable tips.
- Saving Money With Coupons (PDF): Consumers who click this link will find a fact sheet that offers helpful couponing hints and provides information on where to find coupons.
- Cash in With Coupons (PDF): Learn how to properly clip, organize, and maximize coupons by reading this couponing fact sheet.
- Save Money With Coupons: On this site, visitors are given four money-saving coupon tips.