Anyone who wants to learn a new hobby should consider either knitting or crocheting. Both of these skills use yarn, except crocheting uses one hook and knitting uses two needles. Some people like to switch back and forth between crocheting and knitting, while others like to specialize in just one hobby. Many free crochet and knitting patterns are available on the Internet. Using free patterns helps you save money to use to buy more yarn.
Beginner/Easy Crochet Patterns
- Cottage Magic Crochet Dishcloth: This crocheted dishcloth is easy to complete, and the textured check pattern is attractive.
- Basic Beginner Crochet Scarf: Make a crocheted scarf with this free pattern that is designed for beginners.
- Free One-Ball Looped Cowl Pattern: You only need one skein of yarn to make this looped cowl, and the process doesn't even require knowledge of knitting or crocheting.
- How to Crochet a String Shopping Bag: Follow this simple pattern to make a sturdy shopping bag.
- Free Crochet Hat Pattern for Beginners: It takes less than two hours for a beginner to crochet this pretty hat.
- Decorative Potholder Crochet Pattern: Choose chunky yarn to make a crocheted potholder.
- Quick and Easy Reusable Cotton Balls or Bath Scrubbers: Use up yarn scraps to crochet reusable cotton balls.
- Easy Market Tote: Make a tote bag that's perfect for taking to the grocery store.
- Crochet Mini Bow: Choose cotton thread to make these tiny bows that are perfect for babies.
- Simple Crochet Dishcloth: Practice basic crochet stitches to make a useful dishcloth.
Intermediate/Experienced Crochet Patterns
- Free Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern: This chunky crocheted baby blanket works up fast and promises to be snuggly and warm.
- Quick and Easy Crochet Cowl Scarf With Fringe: Crochet a cowl scarf complete with a beautiful fringe.
- How to Crochet a Cross-Body Circle Bag: This bag is the perfect one to grab when you're running a few errands.
- Caffeinated Coffee Cozy: Use worsted weight yarn to make warm cozies for your coffee cups.
- Crochet Flower Ball or Cat Toy Free Pattern: Cats will love this fun crochet ball that you can make quickly.
- Crochet Reusable Sandwich Wrap: Crochet a reusable sandwich wrap that you can use instead of disposable bags.
- Crochet Modern Granny Scarf Pattern: The granny square pattern makes a warm and cozy crocheted scarf.
- Sweet Stripes Crocheted Laptop Case: Crochet a laptop case that's attractive and protective.
- Circle Clutch: Free Crochet Pattern: This circle clutch bag may become one of your favorite bags.
- Velvet Cables Crocheted Pocket Shawl: Choose a velvety yarn in a color you like to make a warm shawl.
Beginner/Easy Knitting Patterns
- Really Easy Knit Baby Hat: Knit a hat for a baby, a child, or an adult by following this beginner pattern.
- Rainbow Baby Blanket Knitting Pattern: Knit a blanket in an adorable rainbow pattern for a new baby.
- How to Knit a Scarf for Beginners: A garter-stitch scarf may be one of the easiest knitting projects for beginners.
- Chunky Throw Pillow Set: These basic knitting stitches will enable you to finish beautiful throw pillows in a short time.
- Easy Knit Catalunya Colorblock Poncho: Not only is a poncho a versatile wardrobe separate, but it's easy to knit one.
- Fiesta Scarf: You'll be practicing your knitting and purling to complete this colorful scarf.
- Easy Garter-Stitch Tank Knitting Pattern: This tank top knits up quickly thanks to the simple garter stitch.
- Rib Stitch Tutorial: This tutorial teaches novice knitters a basic stitch with a bit of stretch to it.
- The Boulevard Blanket: Use super-bulky yarn to knit this blanket in a variety of sizes.
Intermediate/Experienced Knitting Patterns
- Knit Slippers: You'll need intermediate knitting skills to make these warm slippers.
- Lace Stole Knitting Pattern: This lace shawl has some intricate knitting patterns, but it's worth the effort.
- Hooded Pullover Pattern: Knit a hooded pullover for a baby or toddler.
- Baby Fireside Vest: This hooded baby vest knits up quickly.
- American Girl Doll Faux Fair Isle Cardigan: Knit a fairly simply cardigan for a child's doll.
- Spotted Around Hat: This leopard-print knitted hat will become a favorite during the winter.
- Cables and Ribs: Practice cables and ribs by working on this knitted child's sweater.
- Noro Scarf: This ribbed stripped scarf is an intermediate project for a more experienced knitter.
- Knitting Pattern: Two-Toned Diamonds Infinity Scarf: Use your intermediate knitting skills to make this beautiful and warm infinity scarf.