National Margarita Day is observed annually on February 22nd, and this year it lands on a Friday- which means a very special end of week happy hour!
Margaritas are often known to be the most common tequila-based cocktail served in the United States, but the variations of a margarita are quite extensive. Frozen or on the rocks? Salt or no salt? Lick the salt off? And where do you even begin with which flavor?
So we surveyed 1,014 Americans to get their take on margaritas just in time for National Margarita Day. Here’s what we learned of those who’ve had at least one or more margaritas in their lifetime.
- 86% of Americans like or love margaritas! Only 3% of people hate them.
- Just over half of Americans (58%) preferred Frozen versus On The Rocks (42%)
- Most Americans (65%) prefer Salt on the rim versus those who prefer no salt (35%)
- Just over half (55%) of Americans will lick or eat the salt off the rim versus those who wouldn't (45%)
- Americans top flavor preferences include: Traditional-Lime (42%), Strawberry (27%), Mango (10%), Peach (7%), and Watermelon (5.5%)
- Only one out of four Americans prefer to make their own margarita (24%) versus just ordering one (76%)
- Above 1/2 of Americans (49%) stated they didn't have a specific spot they preferred to get a Margarita. Of those remaining, 35% preferred a local bar or restaurant to a chain restaurant (16%) like Chili's.
- Men (28%) are more likely to prefer to make their own Margarita over females (20%)
- While only 15% of Americans surveyed knew that National Margarita Day was this coming Friday, over half (51%) said they planned on drinking a Margarita on Friday anyhow!
Margarita Day Local Restaurant Deals
What’s better than a Margarita on a Friday? Getting a discount on it of course! See below for local restaurant deals and online coupons to score savings whether you’re going out or having people over for National Margarita Day. Ranging from New York to New Orleans, Austin to Dallas, and various national chains, we’ve collected some of the best deals and restaurants participating in National Margarita Day.
Añejo (New York City) - Will be offering $25 margarita flights! Tanteo Spicy Margarita Flight for those who can handle the HOT, and the Standard Flight for the rest of us.
Bahama Breeze - Offering up their new coconut pineapple margarita for just $8.99. It’s a blend of Sauza Silver, cream of coconut, pineapple and lime juices.
Barracuda (New Orleans, MO) - will be offering $5 margaritas and pitchers all day on National Margarita Day!
BoomerJack’s Grill & Bar (Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area) - Will offer $3 house margaritas all day on National Margarita Day. All 14 locations will participate.
Chili’s - Will offer their famous Presidente Margaritas and February's Margarita of the Month, Hearts on Fire 'Rita for only $5 all day on February 22, 2020.
Dos Caminos - Will be offering their margarita of the month, the Piña Maria Margarita.
El Chico - Various restaurants will have "House ‘Ritas" for just $3 on Feb 22nd.
El Vez (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Love El Vez? Enjoy $6 classic margaritas all day long on Feb 22nd.
Margaritaville Restaurant - Win a Margaritaville Key West Frozen Concoction Maker with salt rimmer + serving tray and a $100 Margaritaville gift card during the Margarita Madness Giveaway.
Salty Sow (Scottsdale, AZ) - Will be offering up $5 margaritas from 4 p.m. onwards on Feb 22nd.
Taco Cabana (Austin, TX) - Will be offering $2 margaritas all day long on Feb 22.
Applebee’s - In the 14% that don’t want a margarita? Applebee’s has the $1 Vodka Strawberry Lemonade running this month.
Margarita Day Online Coupons & Deals
Doing Margarita Day yourself or with friends? We’ve got online coupon codes and promotions for you to save on tequila, Margarita mixers, party supplies and more!
Drizly - In a hurry? Stocking up for your own party? Drizly delivers alcohol and mixers in 1 hour or free pickup locally and you can save $10 off your first purchase of $20 or more with code OFFICIAL10 at checkout.
HeadLimes - Free shipping on cocktail accessories for National Margarita Day using promo code margarita222 during checkout.
Blenders That Won’t Break The Bank
Prefer to make your own Margarita? Here’s a few suggestions that ship via Amazon Prime.
SharkNinja Nutrition Pro - $59.99 @ Amazon (same day shipping may be available)
NutriBullet NBR-1201 12-Piece High-Speed Blender/Mixer System - $59.99 @ Amazon
Remember to install our Cently browser extension to ensure you get the best Amazon price.
And whatever Margarita you decide on, enjoy responsibility!
1,014 Americans were surveyed from February 16th, 2019 to February 17th, 2019 using the SurveyMonkey platform. Of those 863 respondents confirmed that they currently drink or have drunk Margaritas before. This was the pool of respondents used to analyze the survey results.