Whether you’re into soft, hard, sweet, or salty, Americans love pretzels. In a recent survey conducted by CouponFollow, a leading coupon aggregation website, they found that 92% of the 964 people surveyed said they genuinely liked pretzels.
In fact, nearly 50% said they had eaten at least ONE pretzel within the week of taking the survey.
Given the popularity of pretzels, you may be aware that April 26 is National Pretzel Day! Carb-fans can rejoice with a ton of pretzel day freebies and coupons to satisfy your sweet or salty cravings.
National Pretzel Day Coupons
Get ‘em while they’re hot!
- Auntie Anne’s: On April 26 only, buy any pretzel item and get an Original or Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel for free! Plus, signup for their rewards program for 1 Free Pretzel when you spend $1 or more and you’ll earn points towards free pretzels in the future.
- Ben’s Soft Pretzels: Download the Ben’s app and get 1 Free Pretzel or donate $1 to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund to get a free jumbo pretzel
- Bierhaus NYC: buy 1 liter bought of their Hofbrau brew and get 1 free pretzel, April 26 only
- Cheryl’s Cookies: It may say cookies in the title, but they also sell delicious pretzel treats. Redeem our exclusive CouponFollow discount code for 15% off.
- Cumberland Farms: free Chill Zone beverage with the purchase of any hot pretzel
- DietDirect.com: get 15% off pretzels and more through April 28
- Harry & David: This online shop sells chocolate-covered pretzels, pretzel cupcakes, and classic dipping pretzels. Use our code for 20% off your purchase of $76 or more.
- Philly Pretzel Factory: Get 1 free pretzel on April 26 only
- PretzelMaker: Get a free pretzel when you signup for their email newsletter AND get a second free pretzel when you download their app!
- Wetzel’s Pretzels: FREE PRETZEL ALERT. You don’t even need to buy anything--they’re literally just giving them away. Check your local store for details, April 26 only.
- WonderSlim: Save 15% off all pretzel snacks and more through April 28
Some interesting finds from our research show:
- Almost 3 out of 4 Americans (72%) consider pretzels a healthy snack
- Almost half of Americans say they have eaten a pretzel in the last week
- 82% of Americans claims their household spends spend $50 or less on pretzels each year
- 2 of 3 (66%) Americans prefer big/soft pretzels to small/hard pretzels
- 83% of Americans prefer pretzels with salt
- 57% of Americans prefer pretzels without mustard
- Aside from mustard Americans also enjoy their pretzels topped with cheese, chocolate, peanut butter, cinnamon and sugar
- 32% of Americans prefer Pretzels as a non-candy snack enjoyed watching a movie compared to about half (49%) who prefer Popcorn; others choices included Potato Chips (9%), and Nuts (8%)
As for which pretzel chain is the most popular, 46% say Auntie Anne’s is their favorite. With that buy 1 get 1 deal, you’d better get to your local mall early!
And though 63% think the pretzel was invented in Germany, historians don't really know for sure. Some say it originated from Christian monks as a symbol of arms folded in prayer, while others say it came into being well before that by pagans. Believe it or not, many historians credit Italy with the invention of the pretzel in 610 A.D.
Wherever it was invented and whatever your sweet or salty and dipping preferences, there’s no denying the popularity and deliciousness of pretzels. Enjoy National Pretzel Day on April 26 by grabbing one of our deals above, baking your own pretzel, or ordering online.