Learn About the Target Price Matching Policy
If you want to get the best possible price every time you shop, it’s worth taking a moment to get familiar with the Target price match policy. It can be confusing at first, but you’ll save a surprising amount of time and money once you’ve learned the ropes.
After all, Target’s vast inventory makes it easy to stock up on household essentials, apparel, tech and so much more — you can save extra stops on your shopping trip when you know how to request a lower price at one store that sells just about everything. Even if you only shave a few dollars off your purchase, those small savings add up over time.
Here is everything you need to know about the Target price matching policy.
Does Target Do Price Matching?
Compared to most retailers of its stature, Target offers a robust price matching policy. Thanks to the Price Match Guarantee, unlocking the best possible prices every time you shop at Target is easy — a bit of price research and advance preparation goes a long way.
Target will provide a price match if:
- The item is currently in stock and available at the competitor store.
- The item is identical at both locations — model number, size, color, weight, brand, SKU and so on.
- The item is sold by Target.com, a brick-and-mortar competitor within a 25-mile radius of your local Target or any of these approved online competitors.
- You request the price match or price adjustment within 14 days after your initial purchase.
Ultimately, price match request approval is at the sole discretion of Target’s associates, managers and customer service representatives. This variable can work for or against you, so remember — asking nicely and coming prepared with proof will boost your chances of locking down a lower price.
In-Store Target Price Matching
Getting a price match at your local Target is usually pretty straightforward, especially once you’re familiar with the price match policy. You can follow the same steps to request a price adjustment on previous purchase.
- Ask for a price match during checkout, or visit the Guest Services desk for assistance.
- Show the Target associate proof of the lower price you’d like to match — Target accepts printed ads, digital ads, product pages and receipts. Unverifiable screenshots and photos are not valid forms of proof.
- The Target associate will verify the lower price and adjust or refund your payment accordingly.
Online Target Price Matching
Target offers price matching for online orders as well — the Price Match Guarantee follows the same basic format online as it does in-store, though online pricing and exclusions may vary.
- Contact Target customer service via live chat, or by calling 1-800-591-3869.
- Provide verifiable proof of the lower price to the Target representative — Target will price match digital ads, product pages from approved competitor sites and Target store prices.
- If you request a price match on a previous purchase, make sure to have your order number on hand.
Target Price Match Exclusions
While Target’s price matching policy is fairly generous, there are more than a few products and categories excluded from the Price Match Guarantee. Save time and effort (not to mention those nasty looks from other customers waiting in line) by reading up on Target’s exclusions ahead of time.
Target will not price match:
- Damaged, pre-owned, clearance and refurbished items
- Pricing errors
- Select Black Friday and Cyber Monday offers
- Flash sales, loyalty cards, free add-ons and any competitor offer that require a qualifying membership or purchase
- Contract and plan-based services (such as mobile phone devices, product assembly, clinical visits and pharmacy purchases)
- Rebates, sales tax promotions, financing, services, mail-in offers
- Marketplace prices from third-party sellers (including those on Target.com)
- Target Circle and GiftCard offers
There is one major catch for Target price matching in-store: brick-and-mortar Target locations can’t price match other Target stores. If you’re using Target app pricing to request a price match in-store, make sure you’ve chosen the correct store location — some prices vary from store to store.
Does Target Price Match Other Retailers?
Target price matches “local retail competitors” within a 25-mile radius of your local store (or your billing address for Target.com purchases). Target associates and managers can approve or deny price match requests at their discretion, so you might be able to get away with a competitor on the edge of this radius — especially if you ask nicely.
For online orders, Target honors competitor pricing from the following retailers:
More Target Price Matching Tips
Does Target Match Black Friday Prices?
The Target price match policy doesn’t exclude Black Friday pricing, but Target will only honor holiday prices under certain circumstances. Like any other time of year, Target doesn’t offer price matching on doorbuster deals, flash sales, membership-exclusive offers and storewide sales from competitors. The difference between a “Black Friday deal” and a regular sale isn’t always clear, so it never hurts to ask for a price match if you’re unsure.
On the other hand, Target’s holiday price match policy is quite generous if you’re looking for a price adjustment for items sold at Target or on Target.com. If you jump the gun on a gift purchase and miss out on a better price closer to the holidays, Target will refund the difference upon request.
In recent years, Target has offered this special price adjustment period for items purchased between early October through Christmas Eve (December 24th).
Can I Use Coupons On Price Matched Items?
You can’t use Target coupons, Cartwheel offers or Target Gift Card offers on price matched items, but you can use manufacturer coupons. If you apply a manufacturer coupon, the discount is taken from the lower matched price.
Target does not allow coupon stacking on price matched items.
Will My 5% RedCard Discount Apply to Price Matched Items?
Target RedCard holders receive 5% off all qualifying purchases, including price matched items. Most products ineligible for a price match are also exempt from Target’s RedCard discount, so your 5% discount should work most of the time.
Does Target Price Match Out of Stock Items?
If you request a price match from a competitor store, the item must be in stock at the other retailer. Target is a bit more lenient with its own inventory.
Products out of stock on Target.com still qualify for a price match or a price adjustment, but you may need to visit a brick-and-mortar location to request an “in-store” price match.
Target allows rain checks under certain circumstances. If an item is unavailable at your local store, you can request a rain check for “today’s sale price” within 30 to 45 days (depending on where you live) once it becomes available.
Rain checks are only available for in-store purchases. Clearance items, Everyday Low Price items, most media and contract cell phones are excluded from Target’s rain check policy.
How Many Items Can I Price Match at Target?
Target doesn't state a specific limit on the number of items you can price match in a single purchase. That said, Target reserves the right to limit quantities of price matches "per identical item per guest." Some Target associates might be willing to price match every single item in your cart, but don’t count on it — use your best judgment.
Does Target Price Match Groceries?
You can ask for a price match on certain types of groceries at Target. As always, the item must be the exact same brand, size, weight and quantity to qualify for a price match.
For example, Target will likely honor a lower competitor price when:
- Sam’s Club sells five-pound bags of Halos brand mandarins for $5 per package and Target sells the same five-pound bags for $7
- Walmart sells Chiquita bananas for 47¢ per pound and Target sells Chiquita bananas for 50¢ per pound
If Target only sold mandarins per-pound or bananas by the bunch, you would not be eligible for a price match in either scenario.
Only SuperTarget locations can price match per-pound items like loose, fresh produce with no brand name.
Can I Use My Target Team Member Discount with Price Matched Items?
Good news for Target employees — your 10% Target Team Member Discount works on price matched items online and in-store. As long as the item meets the usual price matching and Target employee discount requirements, you can follow the same price matching procedure as a non-employee would without issue.