As far as brands that nail the exact right alchemy of sleek style and effortless sophistication, Crate and Barrel is one that certainly has this on lockdown. Whether it’s a wingback accent chair swathed in rich ochre-toned velvet or a white alabaster vase hand-carved to perfection, the retailer has a way of designing products that are all at once timeless and trend-setting. It’s no wonder influential style icons, such as Leanne Ford and Athena Calderone, have been eager to collaborate with the brand to produce their own signature collections.
If you fancy yourself something of a design aficionado, or even if you just plain enjoy decorating your home with stylish pieces, shopping at Crate and Barrel can feel a lot like being a kid in a candy store. But one thing that is sure to zap the childlike joy out of the whole experience is shelling out your hard-earned dollars at full price. This where learning Crate and Barrel’s sale schedule comes in clutch. By knowing which days are the best to shop, and what sales can save you the most money, you’ll be able to steal investment-worthy items at a fraction of the price.
Crate and Barrel’s Annual + Seasonal Sale Schedule
- Crate and Barrel Annual Outdoor Sale: In late February, outdoor furniture goes on sale to make room for the incoming spring/summer inventory. You can find considerable discounts on items like patio furniture, planters, umbrella stands, outdoor cushions, and more.
- Crate and Barrel Bi-Annual Wine-and-Dine Sale: This sale is held twice a year, once in the fall before the holidays and again in the spring season. As the name suggests, entertaining essentials used to “wine and dine” guests go on major sale, including wine glasses, dinner plates, barware, and serving platters.
- Crate and Barrel Annual Upholstery Sale: Between early August and mid-September, full-price upholstery items are marked down up to 20% off. The sale includes many upholstered products like couches, accent chairs, and ottomans.
- Crate and Barrel Fall Savings Event: In early autumn, select items such as furniture, tabletop, bedding, lighting, and more go on sale for up to 20% off.
- Crate and Barrel President’s Day Sale: On the third Monday of February, you can expect the President’s Day sale to begin, with many full-price items being discounted, including furniture, rugs, and lighting.
- Crate and Barrel Memorial Day Sale: Over Memorial Day weekend in late May is a great time to shop, especially for big-ticket items like couches and beds, since many items will go on major sale.
- Crate and Barrel Independence Day Sale: Held during the July 4th holiday, the sale includes many products, especially patriotic decor and outdoor essentials like pizza ovens, fire pits, coolers, and grilling tools.
- Crate and Barrel Labor Day Sale: During the four-day Labor Day weekend, large discounts are offered on many products, especially inventory left over from the spring and summer seasons, to make room for the incoming fall decor.
- Crate and Barrel Black Friday Sale: The day after Thanksgiving, shoppers can get a jump start on their holiday gift list and enjoy significant savings on many items like rugs, lighting, furniture, decor, cookware, and kitchen gadgets.
- Crate and Barrel Cyber Monday Sale: This online sale is held on the Monday after Thanksgiving via the Crate and Barrel website. Large discounts abound on a variety of products from vases to dressers, and lots more.
- Crate and Barrel End-of-Season Sales: At the end of each season, Crate and Barrel typically marks down prices on products that didn’t sell to accommodate space for the newest seasonal offerings.
- Crate and Barrel Category-Specific Sales: Throughout the year, Crate and Barrel offers sales on category-specific products such as bedding and bath, rugs, and tabletop.
- Crate and Barrel Post-Holiday Sales: Once a major holiday has passed (like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, 4th of July, or Easter), prices are slashed on much of the themed holiday decor.
Other Ways to Save Money at Crate and Barrel
1. Subscribe to the Mailing List
If you sign up for the Crate and Barrel mailing list, you will receive 10% off full price items as a new subscriber, which you can use to shop either in-store or online. As an email subscriber, you’ll also stay in the know whenever special sales or promo codes are announced as well as any exclusive offers.
2. Shop the Clearance Section
Whether you’re shopping in-store or online, be sure to peruse the clearance section for a chance to score up to 60% off Crate and Barrel products. From kitchen and housewares to furniture and curtains, you will find a variety of final-sale items that have been marked down significantly.
3. Sign Up for a Crate and Barrel Credit Card or Mastercard
If you sign up for either the Crate and Barrel credit card or the Crate and Barrel Mastercard, you will earn 10% back in reward dollars or receive six months of special financing for any items over $749. With the Crate and Barrel Mastercard, you can also earn 2% cash back on groceries and 1% cash back on any other purchases.
4. Follow Crate and Barrel on Social Media
Crate and Barrel uses their social media platforms to announce various sales, promo codes, and giveaways. Make sure you’re following their various channels to stay informed of their current promotions. They currently have accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube.
5. Enroll in the Crate and Barrel Trade Program
If you happen to be a design professional (interior designer, professional home stager, architect, set decorator, etc.), you can sign up for the Crate and Barrel Trade Program and enjoy a 20% professional discount off full-price purchases. You’ll also get exclusive access to members-only events, product sneak peeks, as well as a dedicated design team who will facilitate all of your orders, deliveries, and installations.
6. Shop at a Crate and Barrel Outlet
Whether your city has a Crate and Barrel outlet store or there is one within close proximity that you can drive to, it’s definitely worth a trip. You’ll enjoy major savings on items that didn’t sell in previous seasons. And if you don’t mind a few knicks or scuffs, you can also find floor models or customer returns that are significantly discounted. There are outlet stores in California, Illinois, Maine, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia. Search for the one closest to you here.
7. Inquire About Open-Box Items
Generally, stores will sell open-box items at a discounted price, but you likely need to inquire with a sales associate first. If you are currently eyeing any full-price items, make sure you ask if there are any open-box models available before making your purchase.
8. Purchase Discounted Floor Models
Crate and Barrel switches up its floor displays each season. Often, the floor models from the previous season get marked down to account for any wear and tear. If you don’t mind a few minor imperfections, you could scoop up a floor model and save major cash.
9. Opt for Free Curbside Pickup or Free Shipping
Shipping costs for large furniture items adds up fast. To avoid paying a small fortune in shipping fees, check to see if the item is available for free curbside pick-up. This could potentially save you hundreds of dollars. There is also a section on the website where you can shop for specific items that come with free shipping.
10. Use Gift Cards From Sister Stores
Crate and Barrel is part of a larger chain of stores, which includes CB2, Hudson Grace, Crate & Kids, and Land of Nod. If you have a gift card from any of the stores within its family of brands, you can apply it to reduce the total balance due on your Crate and Barrel bill.
11. Search for a Coupon
When there aren’t any good sales happening, you could search for a coupon code using sites like yours truly — CouponFollow — for a promo code. All you have to do is type “Crate and Barrel” into the search bar and hit enter to find out if any promo codes are currently available. And if you add Cently to your Chrome browser, it will automatically “sniff” out coupons and conveniently apply them for you at checkout.
12. Create a Wedding or Baby Registry
If you are currently expecting a new bundle of joy or planning your wedding, sign up for a wedding registry through Crate and Barrel or a baby registry through Crate & Kids. Newlyweds will get a 15% discount off registry items for up to six months after their wedding date. And since it’s no secret that newborn babies cost a lot of money, new parents will want to take advantage of the 15% off registry items they get for three months prior or six months after their baby shower date. They also offer a price-match guarantee if you find a better price on any registry items from a competitor. If you also like free stuff, check out our top 40+ freebies for new parents.
13. Utilize the Free Design Services
Take advantage of the free design services that Crate and Barrel offers by booking either an online consultation with a design professional or scheduling an appointment at your local store. You’ll be paired with a designer who will assist you with a floor plan to establish the best layout for your space, customize a mood board to see all of your ideas, offer expert styling tips and product recommendations, as well as create a 3D rendering of what your new space would look like—all for free!
14. Buy Second-Hand Crate and Barrel Products
Even with sales and promos, sometimes products still fall on the pricey end of the spectrum. If you have fallen head over heels for a product that remains out of your budget, you could always try searching for a used version on sites like eBay, Facebook Marketplace, or Chairish. Items like dressers and tables are fairly easy to clean yourself, and you could have upholstered items like couches or chairs professionally steam-cleaned or reupholstered in a new fabric.