Why Do We Celebrate Pride Month?
Since the '90s, the United States has celebrated Pride Month in June every year. Pride Month gives the LGBTQ+ community the chance to celebrate, learn about their heritage, meet new people and think about everything they've accomplished. Pride Month is also the perfect opportunity for teachers and parents to educate their students about the gay rights movement, which is an often-overlooked part of US history.
To celebrate this month, you can participate in parades, fairs and events that organizations might hold in your area. You can also support LGBTQ+-owned businesses and donate your time or money to LGBTQ+-friendly charities.
2022 Pride Month Deals
Shop Pier 1 to save 20% off all purchases through June 10 with code COUPON20. Pier 1 supports and donates to Broward House to help improve the quality of life and provide a pathway to wellness for those who have HIV and as a result have chronic health challenges.
Save 20% off their Pride collection with code PRIDE20 through June 30. 2(X)IST donates to various charities during June, as well as throughout the year, with one of their top organizations being the Ali Forney Center, which supports homeless LGBTQ+ youth. You can also shop their Pride Collection now.
FOREO Sweden is the world’s leading beauty-tech brand that makes self-care simple, easy, and enjoyable. Check out their award winning products range and use promo code: CFOLLOW19 to enjoy a 19% discount on all orders.
This year, Princess Polly is supporting the Born This Way Foundation and donating $30,000. Born This Way Foundation is co-founded and run by Lady Gag to support the mental health of LGBTQIA+ youth and communities. Use code CFOLLOW20 for 20% off everything in the month of June.
Order from Gunnar optics and get free shipping on your order! Plus, part of the proceeds will go toward LGBTQ+ support organizations. Use code PRIDECF at check
Save at LQBTQ+ owned brand TomboyX June 18th - 20th all athletic wear on site 25% off! Use code FOLLOW25 to redeem your savings!
The Body Shop supports the LGBTQ+ community and offers an easy to fill out form to help pass the Equality Act HERE. Plus, from 6/17 - 6/25, use our exclusive code PRIDE30 to save 30% off sitewide. Some exclusions apply.
In celebration of Pride Month 2022 and Disney’s Pride collection, the Walt Disney Company will be donating all profits from the Pride Collection through June 30 to support LGBTQIA+ youth and families.
Target is a big supporter of LGBTQ+ community throughout the year, but during Pride month, they also collaborate with GLSEN with their Pride Collection and gender-neutral apparel.
Shop the Kohl’s Pride Month collection to support their donation of $100,000 to The Trevor Project (Kohl's has donated over $300,000 since 2019). Plus, Kohls coupon codes are always available, usually up to 25% off.
Adidas has a killer gender neutral collection for Pride this year. Plus, they continue to support the LGBTQ+ community with donations to Athlete Ally and Stonewall. Adidas always has sales and if you signup for their newsletter, you can get 15% off your first purchase.
Their bright, joyous Pride collection features rainbows and neons for a wonderful, celebratory look this year. They continue to donate to long-time partners the It Gets Better Project, Ali Forney Center, BAGLY and OUT MetroWest.
Reebok is donating to the Sylvia Rivera Law Project this year. Their Pride Collection offers sneakers, shirts, shorts, and so much more. Free shipping is always available for orders $49 or more, but you can find other Reebok discount codes often up to 50% off.
Previous Pride Month Deals
During Pride Month, many businesses and restaurants offer deals to help you get into the spirit. Here's a rundown of some of the deals that businesses have offered in the past.
- Boohoo - This fashion-forward apparel retailer is supporting the It Gets Better Project with their unisex Pride collection, plus get 5% off all orders from June 7-13 with code USX5.
- BoohooMAN - With great apparel for men, they are part of the same team supporting the It Gets Better Project. Use code YES10 for 10% off now through June 12.
- KINDSnacks.com - Use code PRIDE for 20% off your order from 6/9-6/15 only. Plus, purchase the Kind Pride Bar to donate 100% of net sale to Ali Forney Center, which is the US's largest organization dedicated to helping homeless LGBTQIA+ youth.
- Calvin Klein - The CK Pride collection offers limited edition underwear, bras, swimwear, jeans, and more, and their partnership with the Outright International Group and sponsorship of PFlag, you can help support the community. Calvin Klein promo codes are often changing, but they constantly offer deals like 30% off swim, extra 40% off sale, and free shipping with a minimum purchase.
- Plant Therapy - Save $1 off their Pride Oil blend with code LOVEISLOVE and they will also donate $5 from every purchase of this product to The Trevor Project. Valid June 1-30. The Pride Blend includes hints of sparkling Pink Grapefruit, bold Steam Distilled Lime, and juicy Mandarin, plus Black Pepper and Magnolia Flower.
- Noom - As they said on their IG, change comes through doing the work and staying accountable. This is what Noom has always been about, but now they’ve partnered with GLAAD to help make the platform more inclusive for LGBTQ+ customers. Get a 14-day trial of their weight loss program for just $1 for a limited time.
- Brooks - Shop the Brooks Run Proud collection to sport your pride on the go. Brooks supports the LGBTQ+ community this year by sponsoring a Pride Run/Walk and issuing grants for local Front Runners. Plus, get free shipping on all purchases of $100 or more.
- Happy Socks - Not only does Happy Socks offer a stunning Pride collection this year, but they also are donating their entire campaign budget to InterPride. Plus, 10% of their year-round profits from this collection will also be donated. Check Happy Socks promo codes for savings up to 20%.
- Original Penguin - 100% of proceeds from their Pride Flag Graphic Tee will go to ALL OUT!
- Vans - Vans is donating $200,000 to LGBTQ+ organizations like GLSEN, Casa 1, Where Love is Illegal, and Tokyo Rainbow Pride. Plus, get free shipping at Vans on all purchases and find Vans promo codes at CouponFollow.
- ASOS - In previous years, ASOS has offered free shipping on certain orders and a 15% coupon during Pride Month. They've also donated a portion of their sales to GLAAD.
- Pottery Barn - In 2020, Pottery Barn offered free shipping on all orders over $79. They also released a Pride mug and donated 25% of the proceeds to The Trevor Project.
- Fabletics - Fabletics has offered free shipping for customers who spend a certain amount during Pride Month. To celebrate, they've also donated 10% of their profits to the It Gets Better Project.
What Are Some LGBTQ+ Charities You Could Support?
Even if you don't have a lot of money, you could donate a few dollars to an LGBTQ+ charity in the United States. Here are some of the most well-known LGBTQ+ charities.
The Trevor Project
The Trevor Project gives LGBTQ+ youth free access to suicide hotlines and counseling services. People who need help can call the hotline, text the phone number or use the live chat function on the website. The Trevor Project also has a community called TrevorSpace where LGBTQ+ youth can connect with each other.
Human Rights Campaign
The Human Rights Campaign fights for equality for LGBTQ+ Americans. This organization also has resources for people who want to learn about LGBT issues and stay on top of news and updates.
GLAAD is a media company that provides positive stories and characters for LGBTQ+ people instead of negative stereotypes. Their website features news and updates about media related to the LGBTQ+ community.
What Are Some Popular LGBTQ+-Friendly Brands?
Some major brands and small businesses ally themselves with the LGBTQ+ community. Here's just a few LGBTQ+-friendly brands that you could support.
In previous years, Converse has launched Pride collections featuring rainbows, LGBTQ+ flags and other motifs. They've also donated money to LGBTQ+ charities like the It Gets Better Project, an organization dedicated to empowering LGBTQ+ youth.
In 2020, Disney donated $100,000 to an LGBTQ+ charity and launched the Rainbow Disney Collection to celebrate LGBT history. This collection included shirts, backpacks and tumblers.
During Pride Month, Fossil has donated a portion of its profits to LGBTQ+ charities across the United States, including the It Gets Better Project.
Reebok has donated tens of thousands of dollars to the It Gets Better Project during Pride Month. They've also released Pride Collections with limited-edition rainbow designs.
In 2020, Levi's released the Pride Collection and donated 100% of the proceeds to OutRight Action International, which is dedicated to LGLGBTQ+BT human rights globally. Their collection included hoodies and jackets with LGBTQ+ motifs.
What We Like About Pride Month
Pride Month wasn't always a recognized celebration in the United States. It didn't become a holiday until the '90s, and Pride Month didn't start to see public support until the late 2010s. This month gives people the chance to reflect on the persecution that the LGBTQ+ community has faced for decades. However, it also gives the LGBTQ+ community the opportunity to celebrate the possibility of a brighter future.
History of Pride Month
While the United States has made great strides toward LGBTQ+ acceptance, this wasn't always the case. In fact, gay bars were illegal in the '50s and '60s. If the police heard about a gay bar in their area, they would conduct raids and arrest anyone that they deemed part of the LGBTQ+ community. These raids, arrests and acts of violence eventually led to the Stonewall riots, which were a turning point for the LGBTQ+ community.
Over the next several decades, the LGBTQ+ community fought for the right to get married, adopt children, gather peacefully and enjoy the same rights as non-LGBTQ+ people. Underground performances like drag shows gradually became mainstream. In 2015, the United States formally made same-sex marriage legal throughout the entire country. While the LGBTQ+ community began to experience more acceptance than ever before, hate crimes, threats, insults and acts of violence still plagued the community.
Today, LGBTQ+ people in the United States and throughout the world still face persecution. However, Pride Month gives the LGBTQ+ community the chance to celebrate their accomplishments and live their lives without judgment or ridicule. In the late 2010s, Pride Month started to become a mainstream holiday celebrated by large corporations and small businesses alike.
After decades of persecution in the United States, Pride Month gives LGBTQ+ people the chance to celebrate their accomplishments and unique heritage. Cities across the United States celebrate Pride Month with parades, festivals, concerts and other events.
Is there a Pride Month?
Yes! The United States celebrates Pride Month in June every year.
Why is Pride Month celebrated?
The United States celebrates Pride Month to commemorate the Stonewall riots and celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.